U.S. citizenship is required.
All candidates must be able to obtain a Federal background clearance.
The candidate possesses strong knowledge and good experience with a wide range of MS SQL Server database administration duties. The candidate is experienced in design and administration of high availability database management solutions for large scale enterprise systems.
The candidate understands and is committed to system integrity, security and availability. The candidate has progressive experience in IT systems design, development, and administration. They incorporate industry best practices in database administration, and adhere to standard operating procedures and methods regarding operations/development of database solutions (ITIL/SDLC). The candidate provides leadership and initiative to provide solutions and pursue improvements to the database management system.
The candidate demonstrates extensive knowledge of all aspects Microsoft SQL Server Database Management system including administration, backup/restore procedures, disaster recovery, replication and related components such as Reporting Services (SSRS), Analysis Services (SSAS) and Integration Services (SSIS).
- Responsible for installation and configuration of databases in clusters. Design and implement database upgrades from SQL Server 2008 to higher version(s).
- Design database backup/recovery strategies. Develop disaster recovery policies and procedures. Setup and maintain database replication including single and multiple publisher/subscriber environments.
- Responsible for setting up effective monitoring for alerts and capacity analysis. Also, tuning the database environment to insure optimal performance and resource utilization.
- Responsible for creating, maintaining and updating documentation necessary to support the database operations by the DBA team.
- Responsible for enforcing Enterprise security policies and procedures on databases.
- Write and maintain scripts in support of database maintenance to ensure consistent performance. Maintain solid working knowledge of functionality of existing platforms and future enhancements.
- Coordinate with vendors to assure the continuing functionality of SQL Server as regards upgrades, versions, services packs, new releases.
- Provide 24 x 7 on call support as part of a scheduled rotation with other team members.
- Participate in design and code reviews. Configure and tune databases and operating system software to ensure optimum performance and resource utilization.
- Provide advanced troubleshooting, triage performance issues, review and interpret execution plans, identify performance bottlenecks and recommend best practice solutions both from a database design perspective as well as internal query design optimizations.
Qualifications (minimum requirements):
- 3+ years in SQL server database administration role (2008 or above) in a large scale high availability clustered production environment with progressively increased responsibilities in a production environment.
- 5+ years working in IT systems work, including but not limited to database administration, SQL development, systems/application administration or other IT technical support roles.
- Demonstrated lead experience with SQL Server installation and configuration procedures. DBA experience in SQL server upgrades, preferably from 2008 to higher version in large scale enterprise system.
- Demonstrated expertise in implementation and advanced tuning and optimization of Replication processes. Advanced knowledge of various troubleshooting methods, procedures and tools.
- Experience utilizing Database console commands (DBCC) functionality and experience developing advanced database objects: views, stored procedures, functions, triggers, etc.
- Working knowledge of networking and how it relates to database operations and connectivity.
- Understand Windows O/S and SAN based storage and related technologies, specifically as applicable and useful to MS SQL Server installations. Working knowledge of hardware, including RAID, multi-processor architecture, etc.
- Experience with database reporting (OLAP) designs, experience with MS SQL server related services: SSIS, SSRS, SSAS
- Experience in scripting tools: PowerShell, Perl, .NET, familiarity with JAVA and related components.
- Experience with database partitioning, compression, encryption, filtered indexing options.
- Experience with virtualization technologies (VMware or Hyper-V)
- Windows server configuration and management, clustering
- Ability to work independently
- Be willing to work cooperatively with a team, both giving and receiving feedback
- Must be attentive to detail
- Ability to perform root cause analysis
- Able to handle concurrent tasks in multiple environments
- Must possess a personal drive to better self professionally and continue expanding skill set
- Demonstrated ability to document findings and results, and present to customers
- Deliver exceptional customer service through situational leadership, great communication skills and problem solving abilities
- This position requires being part of a rotating 24×7 on-call support team
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Microsoft SQL Server Certification (beneficial)